The widely-loved and critically-acclaimed television drama House M.D. was created by David Shore in
2004, and ran on FOX until 2012. The show features an exceptionally successful
yet deeply flawed diagnostician named Gregory House. Each episode is centered
around one of his cases and shows the interactions House has with his coworkers
and patients. The inspiration for the show was the Diagnosis Column of the New York Times Magazine. It described
peculiar, seemingly unsolvable cases that somehow a doctor managed to treat. In
House, the cases become the device
through which the character drama unfolds, and almost every case featured on
the show happened in real life. The plot of the show is also loosely based on
the Sherlock Holmes stories. House, like Holmes, is an unusual, somewhat
anti-social, highly logical genius that is unparalleled in his field. As the
amiable and gentle Watson flanks Holmes, the kind oncologist Wilson is best
friends with House. The two protagonists also have dark pasts and drug
addictions, making them even more similar. In this way, it can be said that House is essentially the modern, medical
version of Sherlock Holmes, solving mysteries that no one else can, while also
alienating many in his life.
Several themes are conveyed
throughout House, yet one of the most
prominent is whether or not ‘the ends justify the means,’ especially in the
practice of medicine. In various episodes, it is explored whether or not
doctors have the right to flout hospital regulations in order to save their
patients, or even go against their patient’s wishes in order to give them the
better, more effective course of treatment. Over and over, the show raises
significant ethical and moral dilemmas, which are debated between House, the
highly rational and logical, and his coworkers, who are practical and
realistic. House obeys his own code, and achieves great success in curing his
patients, yet often does this at the hospital’s or his own expense. The show
also explores the theme of coping with disability and addiction. House is a
cripple in constant pain, and he prides himself on his success. The pain House
experiences forms him into the cynical, focused, and emotionally detached
person that enables him to be so successful but prevents him from maintaining
meaningful relationships. The only way for House to cope with the constant pain
of his injury and the subsequent absence of relationships is Vicodin, which
becomes addictive. In this way, the show demonstrates that disability and
addiction can emotionally damage even the most successful and intelligent
people.
I find this
show to be beautiful in many ways. It is among my absolute favorite TV shows as
it is exceptionally well written and entertaining while also being highly
engaging and thought provoking. In almost every episode, House and his team of
doctors experience some conflict between logic, ethics, and regulation, which
generates some philosophic or practitional debate. I find this to be
particularly interesting, and I love to follow the characters as they form and
defend opinions on intellectual and complicated problems. The characters engaged
in these debates are also very complex and well developed, adding to the
engaging nature of the show. House also
thoroughly explores the nature of relationships between people. One of House’s
taglines is ‘everybody lies,’ which he mercilessly tries to prove at every
opportunity. This pursuit is often fruitful, but damaging to House personally.
This shows how living in absolute truth can actually be somewhat miserable,
which I think is a very honest depiction of real life. In that way, the show is
beautiful, even though it is often quite dark. Finally, the brand of humor in House is quite dry, intelligent, and
cynical, which I find endlessly entertaining. Overall, House to me is beautiful as it raises complex questions while also
being genuinely engaging.
Hi!
ReplyDeleteWhen I was younger, I loved watching House, so it was interesting to read and consider ideas that I'd never thought of. (Specifically, the Sherlock Holmes comparison and your discussion of honesty.) I hadn't registered, while watching, House's obsession with proving that "everybody lies", as you say. But I definitely agree. He expressly disliked Wilson's, Cutty's, and Foreman's optimism, delusion, and love (plus some patients'). I was wondering whether, in the following sentence, you were implying that House himself lives honestly and that it's what makes him so miserable? I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but I thought that'd be fascinating to debate - whether House hides from the truth (behind his pills and sarcasm) or is he the most "realistic" and honest character, in a twisted way?