Published
in 2008 and written by Matthew Quick, The
Silver Linings Playbook is one of the most contemporarily acclaimed novels.
It’s film adaptation also won several Oscars and features a star-studded cast,
but in this case as in many more, the book is definitely better than the movie.
According to the author’s website, the novel “is the riotous and poignant story of how one man
regains his memory and comes to terms with the magnitude of his wife’s
betrayal.” The story is narrated by Pat Peoples, a 35 year-old man who has
bipolar disorder, and has just been released from a psychiatric hospital.
Bipolar disorder is a mental illness characterized by unpredictable and severe
mood swings that can be triggered by some sort of event. In Pat’s case, his
emotions swing from determined and very optimistic to intense and violent rage,
triggered by the memory or mention that his ex-wife is now estranged.
Throughout the novel, Pat comes to terms with his wife’s absence, and regains
his memory surrounding the incident that put him in the hospital. The story is
set in Collingswood, Pennsylvania, which is the hometown of the author. In the
novel, Pat also attended Quick’s alma mater, and used to teach where Quick also
taught. In this way, the novel is portrayed as the simple telling of the story
of one man in suburban Pennsylvania.
One of the most prominent themes
conveyed in this story is the complexity of mental illness. Pat’s bipolar
disorder requires him to experiment with several different drugs, each making
him feel worse than the best version of himself. This is representative of most
people’s experience with mental illness, and the difficulty that goes along
with psychiatry. Pat’s fits of rage are also sometimes inspired by a Kenny G
song that was his wedding song and also the song that was playing when he
walked in on his wife cheating on him. This demonstrates how one small detail
can carry significant, crippling meaning for those suffering with mental illness,
even though it may seem harmless to others. Overall, the novel shows several
complex aspects of mental illness that are not often portrayed in mainstream
media. The next theme shown in the novel is the role that mental illness can
have in family relationships. Pat’s disorder somewhat confounds his father,
mother, and brother. Although they genuinely love him and want to help him,
they often don’t know how to handle him when he is experiencing the intense
emotions involved with bipolar disorder. This is often the case in many
families in which one member has a mental illness. Although family members
usually proceed with the best intentions, sometimes their actions can actually
worsen the situation.
I very recently read this book, and
it truly is a beautiful work. Although the film can be credited for most of its
fame, the novel can definitely be considered a contemporary classic, and is
very deserving of its critical acclaim. Although I do not have bipolar disorder
myself, a few members of my family live with this mental illness. I don’t have
a strong enough relationship with them to really understand what it is like nor
ever actually discuss what their mental illness means to them. In this way, The Silver Linings Playbook helped me to
really understand what it can be like to live with bipolar disorder. Pat
Peoples is a very endearing character that leaves no detail of his life out of
his narrative, which really helped shed light on his mental illness and the way
it affected his daily life. I also really appreciated the very positive
portrayal of therapy in the novel. Pat grows a very strong bond with his
therapist over time, which I think shows how therapy can have a constructive
effect. Therapy is very stigmatized in modern culture, and I appreciated the
way this novel helped get rid of that stigma and show how therapy can be
life-changing. Overall, this novel is one of my favorites, and although it
sounds like a paradox, its portrayal of mental illness is what makes it most
beautiful.
Mental illnesses are really complex. I think that so many people are quick to judge people with mental illnesses. It's important for people to rally around people with mental illness like in Silver Linings Playbook. With the support of his family he heals. No matter how complex mental illnesses are its important that people who care about the person show how much they care for them.
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me so much of a musical that I wrote a post about called Next to Normal. It is basically about a mother who has bipolar disorder and her and her family's struggle. The family constantly supports her and tried to understand her condition. I have always been interested in this film/book but I have never gotten around to watching/reading it. I honestly had no idea what it was about until i read this post. I think that it is so important for people to understand mental illnesses and how to relate to someone affected by one.
ReplyDeleteI have always wanted to read Silver Linings Playbook, it was always a book that was on my reading list but I still haven’t gotten to it. I watched the movie, which I know is never the same as the book, but the movie was still amazing. I love how you were able to relate this book with you, personally. I cant say I agree with any of your comments, because I haven’t read the book, yet I love how you noticed and fell in love with the fact that the mental illness portrayed in the book is the beauty of the book. What other themes do you think are portrayed in this book, other than the complexity of mental illness and how mental illness is portrayed in media?
ReplyDelete